WebcamMurder
<WebcamMurder>

WebcamMurder.com

Wednesday

5 Biggest Mistakes of First Time Filmmakers



1. Contrary to current belief, keeping the audience awake is the biggest mistake a first time filmmaker can make. If viewers are asleep, they will never notice your other mistakes.

2. Waiting to get famous till after your movie is made is another error common among those new to the medium. Why do people pay to see and hear Jessica Simpson (this goes double for Ashlee)? Because they’re already famous. While having people actually see your work is not advisable, you still want them to buy tickets or DVDs, and they are more likely to do that if they feel they already know you. Consider inviting hundreds to your wedding, then escape just before The Big Day and make up a story about being kidnapped.

3. Almost as devastating to your new career as the first two mistakes is not knowing when you’re done putting your film together. While having a feature to your credit can be a career maker, don’t spend the rest of your life perfecting it. Remember, the audience will not be awake and so will not be as critical as you are.

4. Most new filmmakers try to get their movie seen. Big mistake. Smart new filmmakers try to get their movie heard of. Hollywood big shots who hear of your movie may well sign you to a three picture deal. Hollywood big shots who actually see your movie are more likely pass in favor of an American Idol loser who says he had sex with Paula Abdul.

5. Expecting to make your money back on your first film is the least of the five biggest mistakes new filmmakers make because you’re not going to max out ten credit cards just because you read that Robert Townsend did it and his movie made millions…are you? I mean…are you?


For more on the subject, including possible products to buy, see my Amazon.com guide, So You'd Like to Avoid the Five Biggest Mistakes of First Time Filmmakers. [Not a mistake: The director posing for photos with pointed finger. Such photos are a must according to filmmaking guru Dov Simens, and, believe me, I took notes.]

25 Comments:

At 14:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings! I like this place. If you have a moment come visit me at my payroll paycards site. Hope you like it too :-)

 
At 14:56, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip about reaching elusive online teens. After all, they're the next generation of first time filmmakers--and the most likely demographic to benefit from my cautionary advice. Your posts are a little bit cryptic, but like Confucius and Nostradamus, your analyses always hit the nail right on the head, once you find the head.

 
At 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZUMA Inks Deal with Spanish-Language Media Firm
E&P welcomes your feedback and comments: letters@editorandpublisher.com . By using this link, you agree to allow E&P to publish your comments on our letters page.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a russian girls site. It pretty much covers
russian girls related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 15:03, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Anon, you like me, you really like me. So many comments on one post, I can see this one really connected with you. As to your Russian girls site, how creative that it pretty much covers Russian girls. Glad you clued me in.

 
At 15:35, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry, Anon, you're more up on these technological developments than I am. Private road construction, interest free pay back--kind of over my head. But I'm flattered that you think of me as someone you can talk about this stuff with.

 
At 10:28, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:32, Blogger Unknown said...

You know, Anon, the way you gush over this blog, people might think you're a shill who I pay or something. Oh, and you forgot to mention the links you listen to as well as the ones you read, because, as you know, some are podcasts. Of course, I'm being picky.

 
At 16:01, Blogger Unknown said...

A wedding favor site that pretty much covers wedding favor related stuff... Is that related in any way to a Russian girls site that pretty much covers Russian girls related stuff? Or a projector accessory site that pretty much covers projector accessory related stuff? Not that those aren't all perfectly terrific concepts for sites.

 
At 02:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine Thousands Of Links Back To Your Web Site From Other People's Blogs!

 
At 09:19, Blogger Unknown said...

OK! I'm Imagining It! Now What!

 
At 07:34, Blogger Unknown said...

WDM, hi, so glad to know you found my site on Google. As you can see from the number of comments we're getting, more people are finding us there every day. Research shows that for every consumer who comments, 1000 others wanted to say the same thing but didn't.

 
At 02:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

display your RSS feeds on their web sites for content.

 
At 10:37, Blogger Unknown said...

Great idea! Whose websites? The filmmakers making all five mistakes? What if they only make four of them? Or fewer?

Or are you still talking about projectors?

 
At 21:42, Blogger Unknown said...

I completely believe you on that.

 
At 17:03, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! I like Make Big Money articles related stuff even better than wedding favor related stuff and projector related stuff combined.

 
At 13:36, Blogger Unknown said...

What do you mean, BlahBrain, by suggesting that I don't already know "that someone IS actually reading [my] blog and likes what [I] do?" I strongly suspect that you are not as devoted a reader as you make out to be and are, in fact, here only to get me to visit your blog. Because if you were such a frequent reader, you would know that plenty of people (Anon, for example) post comments often, and we have very intelligent and high minded conversations about such topics as the state of the film industry and private road construction. You are hardly the first.

Nevertheless, I am happy to have inspired you, and I hope that inspiration will lead you to greater honesty in your future posts.

 
At 12:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RSS Announcer instantly and automatically submits your RSS feeds

 
At 12:37, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you study Gordon's post, Blah and Anon? Now, there's a comment for you: "Your blog is funny and informative," something I can use to raise my visibility on Google and Yahoo, not to mention "improving your adult sex life," which will send subscriptions through the roof, alleviating any need for automatic RSS feeds or unidentified "good stuff," LOL.

 
At 21:02, Blogger Unknown said...

Sure thing, Anon. Soon as you get time to bookmark me. :-)

 
At 09:21, Blogger Unknown said...

Rachel, to think you GOT IT, even with kids screaming in the background--all I can say is WOW! You are the first visitor to notice my blog's emphasis on fortune cookie wedding favors. Looking forward to chatting with you further about this fascinating topic.

 
At 17:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying to find information on projector rentals and found your blog. The information on blogs seems to be very different that what I can find on a normal search engine search. Anyways, I enjoyed your post.

Thanks,
--projector rental houston

 
At 21:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'est un bon emplacement regardant !Sincerely, Renna st pete beach and wedding reception

 
At 22:19, Blogger Unknown said...

Merci, je vous aime beaucoup aussi, guys.

 
At 22:19, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:37, Blogger Unknown said...

Tell me about it. I tried researching movies that put people to sleep for months and came up with nothing.

Oh, and that's Sondra with an O.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home